Waiting on the Plumber…and Waiting and Waiting and Waiting
Today has been a cultural experience. In fact, it’s been one that’s required very little of me. All I’ve had to do is wait.
Yesterday I arranged for a plumber to come by and do some work. Needed a toilet fixed and a shower assembly and instant water heater installed. He said he’d be here at 9AM.
Now, I knew better than to expect him to actually arrive at 9. I figured it’d probably be a little later than that, and I was right in guessing he wouldn’t be here at 9. And I would have been right to guess he wouldn’t be here by 10. Or 11. Or 12. Or 3. He finally showed up at 3:20, fixed the toilet and said he is too busy today to do the rest but that he’ll be back at 8AM tomorrow. I guess we’ll see how that goes.
Patience, patience, patience…oh how I need more patience.

4 Comments:
Just like home, isn't it? Nobody ever arrives to fix anything when they say they will and if they do manage to show up within the random, inconvenient timeframe they gave you, they expect a parade in their honor. Funny, isn't it?
Are you sure you left home?
patience is something learned and relearned on the field every single day! I think my patience level has risen like 100% since coming to the field...and is tested every day!!
WELCOME TO AFRICA!!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home