23 May 2006

Interesting Conversations

Two conversations with Godfrey, a Ugandan who translates and does some odd jobs for the Hoods, with whom I'm staying in Kampala.

Conversation #1
Kari: "Which one of us do you think is older?"
Godfrey: "Well, he has a beard and you don't..."

Conversation #2
Godfrey: "Which state are you from?"
Kari: "I'm from Kentucky."
Me: "I'm from Texas."
Godfrey: "Oh, Texas. Are you a n-gg-r?"
Me: "Am I a what?"
Godfrey: "A n-gg-r."
Me: "Wait, what was that one more time?"
Godfrey: "A n-gg-r."
Me: "Um, no."

Not a conversation I ever expected to have with a black man.

4 Comments:

At 5/23/2006 9:34 PM, Blogger Arnold Austin Jr said...

I'd say stranger things have happened, but ummm NO.

 
At 5/24/2006 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Spencer, this is grandma in The Glenwood. I have a friend named Evelena helping me type right now! How are you? Hope I have surprised you with this!! Very interesting conversation you had with Godfrey! It made us laugh! We just baked cookies... sorry you aren't here!!!

Love, Grandma Betty

 
At 5/25/2006 2:45 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Spencer, that is hillarious. You have me cracking up.

 
At 5/27/2006 9:31 PM, Blogger Kari said...

Awhh...how sweet, you're grandma commented :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home